Wednesday 20 July 2016

God Is One

 “Morning teacher,” students chorused as soon as I entered the class.

Every student was dressed in proper school uniform and polished shoes. I stood on the podium and smiled at everyone.

"Morning," I replied with a pleased voice.

I instructed everyone to open the book. The noise of turning pages could be heard clearly. All were looking interested to learn something new. I took a marker and wrote on the board.

“God is one”

Some students had a demented look on the face after observing this million dollar line. I could hear some of them whispering to each other.

“Is it so?”

On the other hand, some were looking on the board with a vague smile on their face. I made the students to close their books. I rolled my eyes all over the class and was amazed to see some bewildered faces around. I decided to have a discussion among the students.

“I wanted everyone to share their views on this statement,” I asked enthusiastically.

“The statement is false,” Aakash stood up and said with suspicion.

“It is true,” Rakesh revolted with his hand up in the air.

I smiled and asked Aakash the reason. The reply was so significant that made all class to re-think again. He shared an incident with us.

 He was walking on the street with his father and saw a church on the way. He insisted
“I want to go inside.” His father denied and replied.

“This is not our God. We will go to temple, our God is there”

He insisted for it again but his dad admonished me. There were tears in his eyes and they moved further.
“My father would never tell a lie,” he said this and sat down.

After analyzing the incident, I realized that parents are the first teachers whose teachings children imbibe from the beginning. The thinking should change from the beginning to make people understand that it is just a matter of words either we call god as Jesus, Allah or anything. At the end, they all are the same.

Soon the bell rang, students packed their bags and there was a hush outside the class the very next moment. I got down from the podium and gazed at the line multiple times on the board. I just smiled and went away.

2 comments: