Saturday 6 August 2016

Are You A Philanthropist?

People ask us “Are you a philanthropist?”  Joining a Non Government Organization makes us Philanthropist then we are. I wandered a lot about it, a mind boggling question popped in my head,
“Really, that makes us what people say?”

Once in a week, we teach a few backward students for less than 2 hours or feed a stray animal on the road. An egocentric thought always come in our mind like we had done something great. We tend to praise ourselves in front of everyone like we had won some medal.  The good you did that day, your egocentric praise ruined it all.

Last month, I met a guy who joined the same Non Government Organization. I gave him the rough idea what we do here. I explained about all the cultural activities we do for the children and their parents. Weak children are given special attention so that they can compete well in the school. He interrupted, 
“Don’t explain to me with such effort, I joined only for the certificate. Three months and I will be away to United States for master’s degree.” 

Are we coming here for our selfish needs? If this is the case, Please don’t come. As someone said, 
“It’s better to apply less useful people for the work than more useless people”.

Yes, we had people out there in my Non Government Organization who are devoted to serve the mankind. They carve out time from their busy schedule to shower their knowledge on the children so that they could become something in life. At least we can make them good human being and we are heading in the right direction.

I teach a student of ninth standard. His mother is a house wife and father earns by working in a small shop. I asked him generally,
“What you do after the class?”

“I revise my subjects and teach children studying in lower standards,” He replied with a satisfactory smile.

“How much do you charge them?”  I asked him.

“I teach them for free as I am inspired by you all”

“He taught me the meaning of philanthropy,” I thought and smiled.

If a child can do something for humanity without any selfish needs then why can’t we? Ask this question to yourself. We should move in the right direction as we have to primarily make those children good human beings and then ready them so that they can compete with the outer world.

Philanthropy doesn’t mean seeking selfish goals. It means a responsibility towards the humanity that we are here to help you.  It needs patience and a good heart to serve people or animals that need it. They need our support and awareness about many basic things in life. So ask yourself first,


“Are You A Philanthropist?”

2 comments: