Thursday 18 August 2016

Is This What They Deserve?

“One more raid and I will be the player with most raids in the world cup,” The thought was hovering every moment.

The stadium was full of spectators chanting my name that made me nervous and energetic at the same time. My ears flooded with country’s name.
“India! India!”

The environment made me patriotic and my self determination soared to a new level. I went for the raid, held my breath and reiterated the word.
“Kabaddi”

I stretched my foot and ankle touch did it all. I went back to my section and patted my thigh with right hand, a symbol used after every successful raid. My team was all over me in exhilaration. The whistle was blown and it was a win for my country and I was the hero.

I held up the tri-color national flag up in the air sitting on the shoulders of my team mates. My hard work and determination paid it all. Tears were coming out of happiness. A super hero feeling got instilled in me. It was the best gift I gave to my country which filled me with pride and my chest appeared extended by few centimeters more.

I was called on the stage in the prize ceremony and gold medal was awarded.  The camera man focused and I showed the medal held in my hand with a big smile on the face.

A drop of water from above and my eyes opened from sleep, I got up and glanced at the medal on an almost broken table in front of me. I looked up and saw the ceiling of the roof leaking due to rain. I could hear an irritating sound that old beds generally make when we try to move a bit. The indigent condition told that everything is ephemeral.

“A gold medalist in Kabaddi at world level, is this I deserve?” The question came in my mind. My real memories while sleeping continued further.

After winning it, I was at the IGI airport and no one was there to welcome me. The expectations came down like someone has crushed something under his shoes. The smile on the face faded away the very next moment. I pondered that
“No one knows me or No one wants to know me”

The medal was not only a piece of gold; it was a result of my struggle and an uphill battle that I faced with the whole world. It was the way that could carve out me from my parsimonious condition but no one dared to notice it. My association members were not even there to felicitate me.  No one was there who could say
“You made us proud.”

I boarded an auto rickshaw and the driver treated me like any common man. He turned on the radio and I could hear
“It’s a six and Dhoni finishes off in style. It’s the world cup for Indian Cricket team.” The commentator screamed in sheer exhilaration.

“Indian team made us proud,” The driver said.

I smiled and murmured to myself,
“Yes they are the pride for our country then who are we?”

After few days, Government gave many laurels to the Indian cricket team but no government official came forward to award Indian kabaddi team. The biggest irony, both won the world cup.

I got up from my bed and picked up my medal, wiped off the dust and constantly gazed at it.
“Is this I deserve?” I said this to myself again.


“Value every sport and each sports person because all bring the same amount of pride for our country.”

No comments:

Post a Comment