Saturday 20 August 2016

Unmatched School Uniform

One day, my father took me into a building and we headed towards the reception. The receptionist directed us to the account office. My father took out some money from the pocket gave it to the squat person who was having a stubble on his face sitting on a long chair in the accountant office. He counted the money and put it into the locker just beneath his desk.
‘“Your child’s admission is confirmed,” He said in a croaky tone.

“This is your school,” My father said to me. “You have to come here every day”

My father purchased the school dress from the school stationary shop and gave it to me. I was holding it and my eyes constantly gazed at it. A light blue shirt and dark blue pants.
“Who wears that combination?” I thought

“You have to wear it every day,” My dad said with a smile.

My first day at school and I was crying in patches requesting teachers to let me go home. This continued for few days until I got over it. Some things got added to my daily routine.
“Wait! It was not added to mine, it was added to my mother’s”

She had to wake me up at 7.00 am, get me ready, made me to wear my unmatched school uniform and prepared food for me. My father fulfilled the job of dropping me to school every day on his scooter.

With each passing day, I got used to the routine. I made some friends and suddenly I wanted to go school every day. Ironed dress, polished shoes and a school tie became my companions from eight in the morning to two in the noon. I passed my classes’ over and over in one attempt and made many friends through this beautiful journey. I was an above average student as I scored good marks in all the subjects except Hindi. I remember that I had to write my Hindi notebook four times in 8th standard due to bad handwriting. I would hate my Hindi teacher all my life.
“But I had not improved my handwriting till now”

I made my best friends in 9th standard who are still with me. I started loving my weird dress as I lived most alluring moments wearing it. Time passed and I was promoted to 10th standard, one of the most puffed classes due to board exams. Extra classes with lots of study and practice exams made the year stressful. Board exams started to haunt all day and night. We studied hard but I realized that there is an unnecessary puff created regarding this.

Soon the results were declared and I scored whopping eighty four percent which landed me in the science stream. Two years after 10th standard were the most enchanting for me. I enjoyed like anything in 11th standard. 12th standard was again boards so same story was repeated as in 10th standard. Soon the results were declared and I scored three percent more this time.

The day came when I had to leave school where I spent 12 years of enjoyment, stress and hard work. A song was played on the farewell day which resembled friendship. All were revolving around in the form of circle, holding hands and singing the song. Tears could be seen in everyone’s eyes. I wished if there were time machine, I would like to live these 12 years again. All promised to stay connected and I headed back home. I undressed my unmatched school uniform, ironed it and constantly gazed at it.

I want to wear this combination again and again,” I said to myself. A tear drop trickled down my cheek.

No comments:

Post a Comment